[KuBand] FW: AEEC KSAT Subcommittee Meeting - 11:00AM-1:00PM EST, Nov 8 - Inviting modem and antenna suppliers - ARINC PP793

Jose Godoy jose.godoy at sae-itc.org
Wed Nov 1 23:48:47 EDT 2023

In preparation for the next AEEC KSAT Subcommittee Teams Meeting, scheduled for next Wednesday, November 8, 2023, Peter Lemme, Totaport, has provided the following. The November 8th Teams Meeting invitation can be found at the end of this email:

The AEEC Ku-Band and Ka-Band Satellite (KSAT) Subcommittee is developing ARINC Project Paper 793 (PP793), the third-generation aero satcom characteristics (ARNIC Characteristic 791 First gen KSAT, ARINC 792 Second gen KSAT).
PP793 is largely devoted to embracing multibeam applications (scaled up to six independent tx/rx beams) using fiber optic interconnection instead of traditional coax IF.  All communication with the antenna subsystem is expected over fiber - NO copper Ethernet nor any type of coax.

While analog beamforming has been dominant, its ability to practically create more than two beams is understood. PP793 is written to create a long-standing installation provision to fully enable emerging digital beamforming applications as well as analog beamforming.

Fiber optics are lighter and much more capable than coax, along with having other advantages and challenges.

The fiber optic interface includes dedicated fiber strands to communicate tx, rx, and ref signals. There are also strands to support an Ethernet data interface for control and maintenance plane communication.

In addition to Ku/Ka beams, the interface also includes fiber strands to communicate with other radios (e.g., GPS/GNSS, L-band satcom, cellular, Wi-Fi) that can be installed under the same radome.

The emphasis is to communicate digital baseband signal instead of analog IF, and to that end we have been coordinating with DIFI via Jim Rosenberg (Wavestream). The strands can also be used for data plane traffic if the modem is installed outside.

There are provisions to allow sending analog over fiber (as related to reference frequency and GPS/GNSS RF receive signal), but NOT analog IF over fiber.

This meeting is dedicated to hearing from modem and antenna suppliers regarding your thoughts and concerns with our proposition for Project Paper 793.

ARINC 792 exists with coax IF and can support multiple modems but is largely confined to single carrier (with support for multiple modems in a roaming scenario).  Dual beam may be possible by stacking two IFs over one coax. The ARINC 792 Ethernet interface was not designed to carry user plane traffic and embedding the modem outside and relying on that interface may have data rate limitations. There is NO support for adding additional coax runs to support multibeam.

We expect to retain the ARINC 792 outside antenna mounting provisions.  These are designed to support six lug locations with optional positions to account for different size antennas.

We expect to pass through the fiber cable through the fuselage (bulkhead) with a compression fitting - no bulkhead feedthrough connector.

We expect to retain a copper power bulkhead feedthrough connector with limited discrete signal connections (no copper Ethernet).

The KPSU is likely to be simplified by removing the digital interfaces to the outside antenna equipment (purely, a power supply).

The Modman is expected to grow from 4 MCU to either 6 MCU or 8 MCU.  The expanded size is to provide for more power and space. We may end up allowing 4, 6, or 8 MCU sizes, or we may legislate only one size modman, to be determined. Whatever size option, there will be ONE connector layout.

There will be NO support for an Auxiliary Modem Unit (AMU).

I hope you will be able to join us and help us make sure we can address your needs and desires and avoid limitations or downfalls.

Thanks,

Peter Lemme
+1 206 851 4359
peter at totaport.com<mailto:peter at totaport.com>

=====

...Dear Ku-band and Ka-band Satellite Communications and Fiber Optics experts,

The next AEEC KSAT Subcommittee meeting is scheduled for November 8, 2023. This 2-hour online meeting will start at 11:00 AM Eastern USA Time.

During the meeting, ARINC Project Paper 793: Third-Generation Ku-Band and Ka-Band Satellite Communication System with Multi-Modem Capability and Fiber Optics v5ww3Interfaces, will be further developed.

Attached for your convenience, please find the latest version of the next generation KSAT System Architecture and the KSAT Subcommittee Action Items.

You are invited to attend the following Teams Meeting:

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

Click here to join the meeting<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_NGRkMmM2MTUtNzFkOS00MThjLWE4YWUtZjIwZmViZjg1Njk0%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22fcbfc6fa-e20b-4a1d-b629-1b8e17697dbc%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%227735c7ad-2577-4290-9e27-bce52c296030%22%7d>

Meeting ID: 281 394 999 13

Passcode: YMNnau

Download Teams<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/download-app> | Join on the web<https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-teams/join-a-meeting>

Join with a video conferencing device

saeintl at m.webex.com<mailto:saeintl at m.webex.com>

Video Conference ID: 115 728 521 7

Alternate VTC instructions<https://www.webex.com/msteams?confid=1157285217&tenantkey=saeintl&domain=m.webex.com>

Or call in (audio only)

+1 267-768-8015,,368249885#<tel:+12677688015,,368249885>   United States, Philadelphia

Phone Conference ID: 368 249 885#

Find a local number<https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/d1ae197a-e3fc-4c53-90b6-39fdeba65bc1?id=368249885> | Reset PIN<https://dialin.teams.microsoft.com/usp/pstnconferencing>

Learn More<https://aka.ms/JoinTeamsMeeting> | Meeting options<https://teams.microsoft.com/meetingOptions/?organizerId=7735c7ad-2577-4290-9e27-bce52c296030&tenantId=fcbfc6fa-e20b-4a1d-b629-1b8e17697dbc&threadId=19_meeting_NGRkMmM2MTUtNzFkOS00MThjLWE4YWUtZjIwZmViZjg1Njk0@thread.v2&messageId=0&language=en-US>

---------------------------------
José Godoy
Lead Principal Engineer

ARINC Industry Activities
An SAE-ITC Industry Program
16701 Melford Blvd., Suite 120
Bowie, MD 20715

Tel: +1. 443.534.8925
Email:   jose.godoy at sae-itc.org<mailto:jose.godoy at sae-itc.org>
www.aviation-ia.com<http://www.aviation-ia.com/>
sae-itc.org<http://itc.sae.org/>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA0CBD.5978EB60]

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message. Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. This email, and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or proprietary material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and permanently delete any printout of the message, the original and any copy of the e-mail and its attachments from your computer.