[SAI] AEEC TRFD WG Teleconference

Peter Grau Peter.Grau at sae-itc.org
Wed Dec 16 21:43:30 EST 2020

Hello Timely Recovery of Flight Data Participants,

    On today's teleconference we discussed two patent issues:

  1.  The group agreed to rely on ARINC standard disclaimer language and to make no changes to the document in response to FLYHT's patent claim (issue closed).
  2.  The group reviewed the similarity of a candidate architecture within Project Paper 681 to a patent application, previously raised by Bill Waggener of L3Harris (edited e-mail string follows).

A summary meeting report will be written describing these two issues in more detail.

The group began review of the content provided by Greg Smith for Section 5: Summary and Conclusions.

The next teleconference is planned for 13 January 2021 with the following agenda:

  *   Determine if any technical changes are desired to Project Paper 681 in regards to patent issue 2 (none required by ARINC)
  *   Continue work on section 5 summary and conclusions.

  *   Discussed Claude's comments on requirements and added content to clarify the group's understanding.
  *   Discussed initial draft for section 5, using ADT A680 as a template.  Greg Smith and Hannes took an action to develop content for this section.

  Please keep in mind that Boeing is organizing regular WebEx conferences on a preplanned schedule.  We look forward to speaking with you all again on Wednesday, January 13, 2021.

Happy Holidays!

                 Peter

Peter H. Grau
Lead Principal Engineer

ARINC Industry Activities
An SAE ITC Program
16701 Melford Blvd., Suite 120
Bowie, MD 20715

o  +1.240.334.2580<tel:+1.240.334.2574>
c  +1.443.221.8209<tel:+1.443.739.1850>
f  +1.301.383.1231<tel:+1.301.383.1231>
e  peter.grau at sae-itc.org<mailto:peter.grau at sae-itc.org>
www.aviation-ia.com<http://www.aviation-ia.com/>

From: William.Waggener at L3Harris.com<mailto:William.Waggener at L3Harris.com> [mailto:William.Waggener at L3Harris.com]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Similarity of 681 drawing with patent application

Greg,

I saw a notification that a patent application had been published dealing with prioritized data transmission from Honeywell.  This is shown below.  I noticed that there is at least one diagram (Fig 2A) that is very similar to 681 diagram C-3 in Appendix C Architecture Candidate B for ARINC 717-Based System.  My concern is that we are showing a candidate architecture that is very similar to a patent - almost an endorsement of a particular patented approach?  The diagrams are included below for review.

Regards,

Bill

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D6A219.3ACD1810]

[cid:image002.png at 01D6A219.3ACD1810]

Figure 2A from Patent Application
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D6A219.3ACD1810]

William Waggener
Staff Systems Engineer
AVIATION SYSTEMS / L3HARRIS TECHNOLOGIES
Telephone +1 727 456 2922
L3Harris.com / William.Waggener at L3Harris.com<mailto:William.Waggener at L3Harris.com>
490 1st Ave S, Suite 600 / St. Petersburg, FL 33701 / USA
[L3Harris_Lockup_TM]<http://www.l3harris.com/>

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message. Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. This email, and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or proprietary material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and permanently delete any printout of the message, the original and any copy of the e-mail and its attachments from your computer.